Pages

Friday, November 30, 2012

Pin It

Widgets

Shark Tank - Barbara Corcoran - Changed My Life!

I've had several epiphanies in my life - reading Barbara Corcoran's book - "If You Don't Have Big Breasts, Put Ribbons On Your Pigtails" instigated one of them.

I realized I could do anything I put my mind to and at that point I really needed a change in my life.  The book was later re-titled - "Use What You've Got..."  I liked the first title better because it sums life up pretty well.







Some call it "spin", some call it "marketing" - I call it "thinking out of the box" and I've had to do that often in my life.  So - if you need a boost and some motivation, this book worked for me - it might work for you too.  There's also an audio version of the book.  I was able to find both at my public library.

An excerpt from the book:

"A Lesson Learned About Using What You've Got - I didn't have a big chest, but I did have a nice personality, a great smile and the gift of gab.  All I needed was my mother's cue to begin using them to my advantage.  This was my first lesson in sales.

Although the apartment I advertised wasn't any bigger than the hundreds of others advertised that Sunday, my ad caught attention because it offered something extra - one more room.  My "1 BR + DEN" ad enabled the customer to focus on the perceived benefit of more space, and the overwhelming response to the ad gave me a lot more bang for my advertising buck.

Good salesmanship is nothing more than maximizing the positive and minimizing the negative.  Although your competition might offer something you can't match, that doesn't matter.  What matters is that you identify and play up what you've got."

The next chapter is titled - "Paint the rocks white & the whole yard will look lovely" - I can't recommend this book enough - it's a must read.  I truly believe it will add value to your life and help you realize the good you have to offer!

Thanks for visiting!  Reia

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Shark Tank. My husband and I watch it faithfully. I had no clue she had a book and will look for it the next time I am in the bookstore. I could always use some motivation! Have a great weekend!
Theresa

reiadm said...

I love Shark Tank even more because of the book. I bet you'll like it. It's infectious.

Dawn said...

Hi Reia, I found your blog through Mommy Bloggers :) Sounds like a wonderful book, I like the first title better too lol but maybe because it would fit me too.

I have never seen Shark Tank, I will have to look for it!

reiadm said...

The book was life changing to me. I used the concepts today while figuring out the best way to handle a difficult situation and it worked.

As for Shark Tank - it's on ABC Fridays at 9PM ET. Here's a link about it. http://abc.go.com/shows/shark-tank

Barbara Corcoran is one of the investors along with a team of others. Entrepreneurs pitch their ideas and see if the investors will "invest". I get a lot from watching the investors & what criteria they think is important to create a successful product/business.