Pages

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Pin It

Widgets

Clues along an ancestor's trail


While researching my Southern ancestors on www.ancestry.com this week, I discovered an interesting piece of history and hopefully some future good genealogy leads.  



Anything dealing with the Civil War is thought-provoking to me.  However, I really hadn't considered what daily life was like for my Georgia ancestors after the Civil War was over.  I knew it was a time of re-building and acceptance but I hadn't thought of some of the practical things that would have to occur to heal the rift of a country divided in two.  

This week I discovered the "Georgia, Returns of Qualified Voters and Reconstruction Oath Books, 1867-1869" and it opened my eyes to those practical matters.  I have a lot of new clues to explore to further piece together the puzzle that created "me".

I thought you might be interested in what the records contain and the history behind them.


 
Georgia, Returns of Qualified Voters and Reconstruction Oath Books, 1867-1869
  This database contains records related to voter registrations in Georgia in 1867 and 1868 that met requirements of the Reconstruction Acts.
This is the part I found interesting and had never thought of...

  Historical Background:  The Reconstruction Acts of 1867 required Southern states to ratify the 14th Amendment, draft new state constitutions, and register voters, both black and white.  In order to vote, men had to swear an oath of allegiance to the United States, and some were disqualified for their participation in Confederate government posts.

  This database contains books recording those oaths of allegiance and returns listing qualified voters registered in Georgia in 1867.  It includes both black and white citizens.

This is just a glimpse of the valuable information available to us.  I hope you enjoyed this short historical moment.

Thanks for stopping by!
Reia


Last Update: 10/17/12

Copyright © 2005-2012 South Country Sides
All rights reserved.

No comments: