Pages

Tuesday, July 2, 2019

Pin It

Widgets

The Books in My Life ~ Practicing the Presence of God by Brother Lawrence

Christians commonly remember Brother Lawrence for the intimacy he expressed concerning his relationship to God as recorded in a book compiled after his death, the classic Christian text, The Practice of the Presence of God.   My version and the one I read as a teenager is "Practicing the Presence of God".




This book changed my life when I was a teenager.  I realized I could converse with God 24/7.  I didn't have to be at a specific place or wait until a specific time.  I've been conversing ever since.



The book is a collection of conversations, letters and writings of Brother Lawrence of the Resurrection (c. 1614 – 12 February 1691).  Brother Lawrence served as a lay brother in a Carmelite monastery in Paris.




An excerpt - p. 41 of my version.  "As for how things are with me now, I can't explain it sufficiently.  I have no suffering or worries about my spiritual state because I have no will of my own.  I only have the will of God.  I try to accomplish his will at all times and in all things."



For a book originally published in 1691 and 1694 it resonates today with me.  Join me in "Practicing the Presence of God" throughout your daily life.

Thanks for visiting ~ Reia


No comments: